Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why do I crave Ruffles?

This past weekend, I had a party at my house and we had loads of left overs. One of those leftovers was Ruffles chips.
This is where my downfall began. I LOVE this things. And because I love them, I do not buy them. I am pretty sure I can eat an entire bag of these, including the crumbs, all by myself. Well, on Sunday evening I found myself on the couch watching some reruns with an INTENSE salt craving. It was crazy! So, I ran to the kitchen to grab some chips, once....twice...and so on and so forth until I felt satisfied. I honestly have no idea how many many servings that I ate. I was also chugging water with each helping that I served myself. This really made me think? Why am I craving salt and water? Aren't these almost opposites?

Better Medicine states that salt cravings can be due to dehydration. Which is why I find it funny that I was drinking water and eating chips at the same time. Salt cravings can also be a sign of the following:
  • Addison’s disease (decreased production of hormones by the adrenal glands)
  • Dehydration (loss of body fluids and electrolytes, which can be life threatening when severe and untreated)
  • Electrolyte imbalance
  • Pregnancy
I'm now wondering if I drank water when I have another salt craving would the craving go away... anything to keep me from eating those chips!

 

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I love Ruffles! And pretty much every other potato and/or corn chips out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a new popped chip the other day... I think they are called Pops... they actually satisfied my craving. A vending machine bag was only 100 calories!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...