I decided to start off the Body Series with the infamous Hourglass. The hourglass body type is one that most women strive for. The hourglass figure is characterized as a very defined waist and well-balanced bust and hips. The hourglass woman normally has rounded shoulders that align with her hips and the upper body is proportionate in length to the legs which are shapely. Unlike other shapes, the hourglass woman tends to gain weight evenly throughout her body, thus women who have an hourglass figure tend to weigh the most but carry their weight well. For instance, a woman who is five-foot six inches, large framed and well-toned can actually look like she weighs about 135 pounds when in reality she weighs 150 pounds.
Here are some helpful tips on how to dress the Hourglass Figure:
1. Balance your bust!
Tops and dresses should accentuate your waist without adding bulk to your bust. Extra bulk added to your bust will throw your proportions out of sync.
- Look for snug and tailored pieces. This applies to you button-down blouses and your casual t-shirts, all tops should be fitted and nip slightly at the waist. Stretchy materials are great, they hug your curves and they work especially well if you have a flat stomach!
- Go for a short, shaped jackets. Belted jackets, trench-style coats, or other fits that draw in toward the waist work best. Short jackets that stop above your curvy hips are flattering.
- Opt for a wrap blouse or dress. Wrap dresses and tops pull in the fabric at the smallest part of your waist, bringing the focus to your waist without adding extra volume to your bust. If you have a short waist or petite figure wrap dresses may fall at the wrong part of your waist.
- Wear low, slimming necklines. V-necks, sweethearts, and scoop necks help slim down your bust and keep it looking balanced. Low necklines draw the eye closer to your narrow waist. You may be tempted but stay away from wide necklines like boat necks and squares, they tend to make you look top heavy.
- Pick the right undergarments A supportive bra will help you lift and tame your bust and give your top half the right proportions.
Kim Kardashian (One of my Favs) is definitely an hourglass,She always dresses to compliment her petite curves!
2. Keep your bottom streamlined
- Wear skirts with volume. Look for skirts and dresses that are in full circle or tulip cuts, especially if they have a high waist. These styles cling to your hips and hang naturally, which focuses on your lower half without adding bulk.
- Go with the classic cut skirt. An A-line or pencil skirts are very flattering. They work well with your figure because they hug your curves and keep things streamlined.
- Look for pants with a slight flare. Wide-leg and boot cut pants and jeans are great. The flare helps balance your bottom portion of your leg with your wide hips. It also helps make your legs appear longer, and slimmer.
- Opt for mid-rise of high-rise pants. Avoid low-rise pants when necessary they tend to make your hips look wider and your legs look shorter. Mid-rise and high-rise elongates your leg. Styles with wide waist-bands are very flattering as well.
- Wear dark belts around your natural waist. Wearing a belt at the narrowest part of your waist serves as a focal point of your entire outfit. Skinny belts work well too, if you have a short waist or a petite height wide belts may shorten your torso.
- Work a fierce pump! Since you have curvy hips wearing some flats may make your legs look thick and short. Heels elongate your leg and create a slimmer and more proportioned look.
- Accessorize, Accessorize Accessorize! Draw attention to your neckline with the right necklace. The right splash of color at your neck adds tons of personality to your outfit. Look for short necklaces that hug your neck or long necklaces that come down in a "V/" Necklaces that hang too low and wide over your chest may make you look unbalanced.
And then of course we have my favorite person ever Beyonce! I mean who wouldn't want to look like her, epitome of an Hourglass!
Things you will need as an Hourglass:
Fitted Tops, Skirts, Dresses, Pants, Belts, Heels, Necklaces, and Well Fitting Underwear
I hope this helped all of my hourglasses out there. Please let me know what you think and I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. Next up in the Body Series is the Pear!
Thanks so much for reading and as always stay FAB <3