Friday, May 04, 2012

How to Make a Protein Shake: Chocolate Peanut Butter

I get asked this question all of the time when I tell anyone that I actually drink protein shakes. I sometimes can't believe it myself. I cannot wait to shower after a workout so I can get a protein shake. Crazy, right? There are two ways that you can make your shake. It can be looser (like the consistency of milk) or an actual shake (like the consistency of a milkshake).

It all starts with a quality protein power though. I prefer the XSport Fitness brand which I have heard is made my Optimum Nutrition. You just need to find one that you actually like the taste of. I would get samples from GNC or your gym before committing to purchase a huge jar of it. No matter how many reviews you read, the person who says it tastes amazing does not have the same taste buds are you. Period.

The nutrition info for 3 scoops of my protein powder is as follows.
Calories: 280  Total Fat: 1.5g  Carbs: 6g  Fiber: 1g  Sugars: 2g  Protein: 60g

And yes, it still tastes sweet and chocolatey!

When you are looking for a quality protein, you also want to make sure that it is not infused with a whole bunch of junk either. And by junk, I mean carbs... which really means sugar. It's a protein shake, not a milkshake that is made to just made you feel good emotionally on a rough day. A protein shake is made to help revitalize your muscles and power you through the day. 

The quick way (the consistency of milk) you will need:
12oz of water
3 scoops of Chocolate Protein Powder
2 TBS of PB2
A Shaker bottle (like THIS) or a blender

Combine all of the ingredients in the shaker bottle or a blender and ENJOY! Just make sure that all of the powder is dissolved in the water. Now, if you are not a fan of PB2, you can use regular peanut butter, but then you definitely need a blender and not a shaker bottle. If you need more calories, you can substitute milk for the water as well. Mr. Man enjoys his with 6oz vanilla soy milk and 6oz water.

The "Milkshake" Way
Approximately 6oz of water
2 cups of ice (crushed ice blends better)
3 scoops of Chocolate Protein Powder
2 TBS of PB2

Combine all of your ingredients in the blender and blend until it is the consistency that you like. If it is too thick, add more water. If you have a good quality blender, you can also add in 1/2 a banana if you like. (This is how Amber normally likes her shake.) And you can substitute milk again if you need more calories and regular peanut butter if you don't like the PB2.

Just remember that any substitutions that you make add on to the amount of calories that you are consuming for the day. It's super easy to forget to count the calories when you are drinking them.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had a protein shake, but I love milkshakes. Haha! If it tasted chocolate-y, I could drink it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it! I promise its not as gross as you'd expect it to be as long as the protein powder is a good quality one. I don't really even like chocolate and I love it!

      Delete
  2. Nice information you have provided.
    We have to use healthy breakfast shakes, drinks and protein shakes to make our body strong inside. You can make different recipes using horlicks to make your breakfast more delicious.
    Visit: Horlicks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...