Hello EP! I have missed you! This is a bittersweet post since it is the last in our series of 4 Post Host posts! So, let's break it down, we have talked about finding the time to work out, trying weight loss plans, and how to gauge when you are getting results. What are we missing? We need to learn how to....
Yes, eating right is a HUGE part of getting fit and losing weight. In order to eat right, you need a few essential around your kitchen and a few tips in the back of your brain.
1. Measuring cups. I know you've read all of those articles that say a cup looks like half of a baseball, grapefruit, or whatever circular shape they can think of but nothing beats knowing by actually using a measuring cup. Sometimes, it can just be a matter of eating over-sized portions of not-so-bad foods that will keep you from reaching your goals. Or even underestimating how much of a food you are eating so that you are not taking in enough calories. Save yourselves the hassle of not knowing and get yourself some measuring cups. You can find them at your local grocery store for under $5.
2. Fresh Produce. Clean eating is all the rage right now, but for some people that may not be realistic. However, you need to incorporate fresh fruits and veggies If you haven't heard of clean eating please check out this post from The Gracious Pantry. I stumbled across this article when I was reading up on it, and it explains everything in easy terms. Fresh produce is essential in eating healthy. Period. Fruits and veggies help naturally clean out our systems, they have natural sugars to satisfy your sweet tooth, lots of fiber, and you can generally eat more fruits and veggies because the calories are lower. (Just don't run to the corn and potatoes everyday!)
3. Moderation. If you deprive yourself from eating foods that you love, there will most likely be a time when a craving will strike you... and a carrot stick will not do your craving justice. From my experience, I find it easier to plan ahead by having an established cheat day. You can move it around the week to suit your weekly schedule if you need to, or just have a day set in stone. But that day is necessary. I know on my cheat day, it usually only ends up being a cheat meal or snack because I don't have the taste for a lot of fatty foods anymore. AND then when I get in front of the cheat dish, I can't even finish it. But, it makes me feel so much better to know that I can give myself a break occasionally.
4. Eat frequently. In order to make sure that your body becomes a lean, mean, fat-burning machine, you must add some fuel to the fire. That means healthy meals spread throughout your day. I swear by having 5 - 6 mini meals OR 3 full meals with 2 - 3 snacks. The first meal should be within 1 hour of waking up. If you can't stomach a whole meal, at least throw a piece of fruit in your mouth. These meals should be composed of a portion of protein (eggs/chicken/turkey), complex carbohydrates (brown rice/sweet potatoes/whole wheat toast), and a fruit/veggie.
5. Consistency. Okay... eating better for one or two weeks is not going to change your life. The changes you make today, may not show up for a month or sometimes two. It is so important to stick to the plan for a good amount of time in order to see if it works or doesn't work for you. Eating better will help improve your skin, hair, nails, energy levels, and of course, your body. But those changes do not take place overnight. More importantly, if you fall off of the good eating band wagon, you better dust yourself off and pick yourself back up at your next meal. Not the next day, week, or Sunday that comes around.
Those are my quick and easy 5 tips to help you get on track with your eating so you can start seeing results. Of course there is so much more I could say, but then this post could take up it's own blog! If you have any questions or concerns, please stop by Work It Out, Gurl or contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until next time!