Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Living Beyond Your Means

Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking, and reflecting upon my life. There are so many things that I want to do, and so many places that I want to travel to, so many shoes that I want to buy (especially the pair pictured to the right!!!!!), and well you get the picture. I know that I don't save as much as I should, and I know that I do make some unnecessary purchases every month, but it really bothers me when I see people that I know make less money than me appear to be doing better than I am.

Call me what you want, but I feel that everyone at some point envies someone else that they see. At this point I can truly say that I am happy with my life, but I mean who doesn't want to do better. I just want to understand how some people can afford all of these lavish bags, shoes, and apparel and here I am with none of the above. I would love to know how people spend money to buy expensive cars, go on exotic vacations, and upkeep a certain lifestyle. I totally understand the fact that we only have one life, and you should do things that make you happy, but at what expense?

This was just something that was on my mind, that I had to express. What are your thoughts?


Amber

4 comments:

  1. people have said that to me a few times ... how can you and hubby go on so many trips, shop, etc. we just spend our money on the things we enjoy. we purposely bought a house significantly lower than we could just so that we can do the things we enjoy such as date night, shopping ,traveling, etc. i think people just spend their money the way they seem fit.

    we save a lot as well. we have what we call a money jar for pretty much everything. for Christmas, for birthdays, for date nights, for traveling ... traveling is the big one. we just save to make sure that we are able to do the things we want because it is true, we only have one life we might as well enjoy it.

    just see what it is that you are spending your money on ... maybe there are some areas for improvement in this area. we always pack our lunch, we only eat out on the weekends ... you would be surprised how much money can be saved by doing this. also clip coupons before grocery shopping ... any extra money you save can go towards the things you actually want to spend your money on.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really does make sense, thanks for the advice. I think I might start planning a trip for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you're comparing yourself to other people, you will never have enough. If you overextend yourself to buy shoes you can't afford, there will always be someone who has a better/more expensive/cuter pair. If you throw caution to the wind and take that vacation you can't afford, there will always be someone who took a longer/more exotic vacation. My suggestion: stop comparing yourself to others, live within your means, and if you want more, earn more first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment. You are totally right there will always be someone that has something better, or gone some place more exotic. I will definitely take your advice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...