Monday, January 07, 2013

Sticking To Your Fitness Plan


One of the hardest things that I have found  to do is staying on track with my exercise schedule. For some reason I manage to keep up with all of my friends' birthdays, doctors appointment and everything in between but somehow I can always think of an excuse to skip the gym. I have been doing a lot better lately but I am still not where I want to be. One of the main reasons why it is so hard to keep up with exercise schedules is because we are always making excuses for ourselves. So I wanted to share a few tips with you guys to help you stick to your fitness plan. I know I will be taking my own advice. 

1. Start Small. Ideally, if your goal is to make it to the gym 5 times a week, for the first few weeks aim for 3 days a week and gradually add another workout day until you reach your goal. One of the main reasons why people veer off their exercise plan is because they start off too big and get disappointed. When you are disappointed it becomes harder to motivate yourself to make it to the gym. 

2. Build up your activity level slowly. Pushing yourself is always commendable but remember to listen to your body. Pushing your body too far too soon can result in an injury or sore and tired muscles and you will be more likely to drop out.

3. Make exercise convenient.  Before you sign up for a new gym to catch the New Years discount, think twice about joining a gym that is miles out of your way. When you have to go too far to make it to the gym you are giving yourself room to make excuses. Think about joining a gym close to work, that way you can squeeze in some cardio before or after work.

4. Make exercise a priority in your schedule. Always make time for exercise. If you know you are going to be busy, save time by increasing the intensity of your workout instead of completely skipping it. 

5. Maintain your achievements. It is OK to miss a day or two of exercising, but don't make it a habit. Missing a day or two won't hurt but skipping too many workouts will put you right back where you started. 

Exercising can sometimes appear to be a major task on your to-do list. However, making small changes in your routine can help you create a realistic fitness plan that caters to your own personal needs and fitness goals. Always remember that one size doesn't fit all. Following a plan that was successful for someone else does not guarantee that the same plan will work for you. 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely need to get in the gym honey!!! This is a great check off list to keep up the motivation! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem!!! You are not the only one, I fell off but I'm slowly making my way back!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...