Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Power of Words



Yesterday I went to the gym with my attitude on level 10. I was tired, I wanted to go home, and I just did not want to be there; I pushed myself to go and as usual I stayed there for longer than expected. Normally when I don't feel like going to the gym I surprise myself and have a great workout. After some cardio, I decided to do some weight training. I was minding my business and then I overheard a conversation that one of the personal trainers was having with their client. The personal trainer did not say much to the woman but what I heard inspired me to write this blog. She simply told the woman to write this down in her phone: "Your words and emotions control your thoughts and ultimately your actions."

After the personal trainer and the woman walked away that quote played over and over in my head, and I realized how true it was. I know for a fact that I am an emotional eater (the first step is acceptance), so whether I'm feeling sad, happy, or depressed I can always go for a good snack. Most of the time I don't even reach for a Snickers, I can settle for some good 'ol Wheat Thins and be happy as a Jaybird.

I realized that I can change a lot by just changing my way of thinking. Words are really powerful, the same words that you can use to tell somebody off are the same words that you can use for motivation. Your words can motivate anything you want whether working out, eating healthy, and even making decisions regarding your career.

It might sound crazy but the next time you are feeling down talk to yourself and give yourself a few words of encouragement. It is great to have good friends and family and a good support system to offer words of encouragement and pull you out of the dumps; but the reality is that you have to learn how to motivate and encourage youself, if you can't do it, how can you depend on someone else? Believe me it works; I absolutely hate running on the treadmill but I know that it is great for your body. When I was almost halfway done with my workout I thought that because I was sweating and breathing heavy I needed to stop running, so I began to tell myself you can do it, and 5 minutes later I was still running and I surpassed what I thought I was capable of.

So my advice to you is to realize how much power you really possess. Encourage yourself and you will see how far it gets you. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something, you can do anything that you want, just keep speaking it and it will come to pass.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...