Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Real Chics, Real Food: Strawberry Banana Smoothie

                                                       Source: homeiswheretheholmansare.blogspot.com via Kimberly on Pinterest

I must say I absolutely love using MyFitnessPal, and with the iPhone app there is no excuse for me not to login. By logging in all of the food that I have eaten for the day it makes it so much easier to take notice of what foods I am consuming. So I have been noticing that although I am consistently under my recommended calorie, carb, and fat intake I am not eating enough fruits and vegetables.

I honestly like most fruits and vegetables, but I get tired of eating the same things over and over, so I started looking into smoothies. Although McDonalds and Haagen Dazs have great smoothies, it is cheaper and healthier to make them yourself. Obviously you can use any fruit combination you like, but I just prefer the taste of strawberry banana.

Here is a quick, easy and healthy recipe for a great Strawberry Banana Smoothie (this recipe yields around 3 servings).

You will need:
6/8 Large Strawberries (washed)
1 Ripe Banana
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of Vanilla Yogurt
5/6 Ice Cubes
2 Teaspoons of sugar (optional)

Combine strawberries, milk, banana, yogurt and ice. Blend until perfectly smooth. Add sugar. Blend for 1 minute.

Depending on what fruits and how much of each ingredient you use, a single serving of a smoothie can be less than 150 calories, 5 grams of fat and 20 grams of carbs. So next time you need a quick breakfast or in between snack, try making your own smoothie. To make the recipe as low fat as possible consider using 1% or skim milk, low-fat yogurt and leaving out the sugar. Besides being healthy and tasty, this is a great way to keep cool this summer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...