Thursday, September 29, 2011

Detox/Cleansing

What comes to mind when you hear someone talk about a detox diet?
I don't know about you guys, but I see myself drinking funny tasting juices, eating celery with no peanut butter, and basically being so hungry that I can't see. According to the Mayo Clinic, detox diets "are touted as a way to remove toxins from the body. Specific detox diets vary — but typically a period of fasting is followed by a strict diet of raw vegetables, fruit and fruit juices, and water. In addition, some detox diets advocate using certain herbs and other supplements along with colon cleansing (enemas) to help empty the intestines. Most detox diets last seven to 10 days." 

Amber and I are seriously considering trying one of these diets out for a week to jump start our weight loss again. This week I had an epiphany on MFP and wrote a blog post (Cake over Cucumbers). Basically, I need to do something drastic if I want to see changes in my body. The minimal weight loss that I have "achieved" in the past 6 months is absolutely nothing to talk about.

I just know that I don't really have too much will power when it comes to my diet. For instance, last night, I ate my dinner before 7:30pm as I had planned. As usual I passed out for about an hour after dinner then got up to do some studying. When I awoke, my fiance was ready for his second dinner for the evening and I didn't even indulge... but 20 minutes later around 9:15pm... I wanted a snack. Bad. So I had about 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice and 6 sea salt crackers. Which honestly isn't that bad, but still... was it necessary? No. I just wanted it. 

That is why I know I need to shake up my routine. The physical and mental benefits that can be achieved through a detox seem to be just what I need to jump start a healthier lifestyle.

Sidebar: A student came into our office today to speak with Amber and she had the fabulous opportunity of going to a weight loss camp this past summer and lost.... 25lbs in one month! The first week of her experience at the camp was a detox. She is going to bring her logs in next week so we can get some ideas on how to do a detox. However, we have to consider that she was at a camp; if she was eating or exercising, she was able to sleep off the hunger. We, on the other hand, we have to be active at work, so we may not be able to "go crazy" eating air and tea all day cause you'll find us on the floor at work. But we will see! I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...