Friday, November 04, 2011

The Instituion of Marriage

As a soon to be newly-wed, it is so hard to to think about and listen to everything that is being said in the media about Marriage in America. This morning on the Gayle King Show on XM Radio, Gayle King brought up a really good point in reference to the Kim Kardashian mess that is going on. (Note: I am an avid Kim K fan, however, she is a celebrity, and most celebrities seem to do the same thing when they get married. Break up.)
Any who, she noted that the LGBTQ community must be a bit enraged when they see how heterosexual couples who have never really had to fight for marriage take it so lightly. It seems like absolutely nothing for people to get married and then get divorced in the US. Our countries divorce rate is something like 50% right now! Crazyness!
As a soon to be wife, I take marriage very seriously. I want to do whatever I can do to make sure that I am prepared and ready to make the lifetime commitment.
Is it hard? Yes.
Is there always temptation around? Duh!
Have I made mistakes? Yes.
But I am willing to do what it takes to prepare myself and my fiance for the journey that we are about to embark on. I am in love with reading about happy couples like Faith over at Life.Love & Marriage. I feel that is may be easier to stay married if I "surround" myself with positive people who believe in marriage and in long-lasting love. Yes, I don't really know Faith outside of the internet, BUT I feel like I get to know her just-a-tad through blogging, and I love the positive example she sets for us young couples out here.

2 comments:

  1. Marriage in America does seem to be in trouble, and I wish I knew why. As someone that is divorced, I am in the zone where I feel that perhaps marriage really isn't for me. But, I know that some people are really successful at it, and I wish we would just get over this whole gays not marrying thing. If we let Britney Spears have a 55 hour marriage, two people of the same sex that love each other, have 2 kids and have been together for 15 years should have the same opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I agree. I just wish that there was more appreciation and respect for marriage. I'm afraid of what marriage will be like when my children are in their 20s.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...