Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Real Chics, Real Food: Chicken Marsala

Disclaimer: This recipe is from my Betty Crocker cookbook. And I didn't really end up liking it. Maybe because of the substitutions and the lack of mushrooms which I deplore. I ended up using the chicken breasts in my salads for the week and for chicken salad since they were so moist. 

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 5 because 5 came in my package)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup onion
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 cup dry Marsala wine or chicken broth

Directions
I placed the chicken breasts in a plastic bag to get ready to flatten each chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness. You can do this with the palm of your hand or anything else that works for you. I used a glass ramekin.  

In another baggie mix flour, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture; shake off excess flour.


Meanwhile, in a deep saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat, cook garlic,onions, mushrooms and parsley. 

Now this is where I took some liberties. I looked at that little amount of oil, and then back at my 5 juicy chicken breasts, and I didn’t think I would be able to fry them up in that little bit of oil, so I did them in a separate pan with more oil and transferred them to the garlic, onion, and oil mixture when I finished cooking them. After all of the chicken is coated and added to the garlic, onion and oil mixture, add in the Marsala Wine or chicken broth. I didn’t have the wine, so I added the broth. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.

I served my chicken breasts up with some whole wheat pasta.

Next time I will go ahead and grab the Marsala wine to see if it makes a difference in taste. And I will add in a tad more salt. I ended up grabber my salt shaker and dusting my chicken a bit. I will say that they were the juiciest chicken breasts that I have ever made though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...