Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Benefits of Cardio

In April I made a post talking about the Benefits of Weight Training, and ever since that post I have become the ultimate advocate for weight lifting. I never imagined myself being in the gym surrounded by gorgeous men, lifting half if not close to the same weights they were. I have to be honest I have really strayed away from incorporating cardio in my workouts and I know that I need to get back on the ball.

So I made a visit to one our favorite sites- bodybuilding.com and I came across another article that explains the benefits of cardio, and I figured I would share it with you guys. Weight training definitely helps tone and shape your body, but cardio should never be left out of a workout plan. Aside from burning excess calories and fat there are so many other reasons to incorporate some form of cardio into your workout plan.

Here are the 5 benefits of cardio that are outlined in the article:
1. Improved heart Health
2. Increased Metabolism
3. Improved Hormonal Profile
4. Improved Recovery Ability
5. Management of Diabetes

I have definitely noticed that my body has changed since I have started lifting heavier but the scale has not been moving as quickly. So in order to get the scale to start moving I think it is time for me to hit the elliptical and treadmill again. Now that you know why it is so important to incorporate cardio in your workout you might be asking how much cardio you really need.

    • The Answer: The American Heart Association recommends 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity activity multiple times of the week. However, the amount of cardio one actually needs varies from person to person and depends on multiple factors such as: how many caloiries you eat, how hard you exercise, your metabolism, age and gender, your fitness level, your body fat percentage and weight, and your exercise schedule. 

The bottom line is that cardio WILL help you lose weight. But it is most effective when it is combined with strength training along with a healthy and well-balanced diet. This does not mean that you can hop on a treadmill and the weight will just fall off, you have to make sure that you are still eating well and getting enough rest.

I hope this was as beneficial as my Benefits of Weight Lifting Post. Thanks so much for reading and as always stay Fab <3.

2 comments:

  1. I have started doing more cardio for the same reason because the scale was just not moving. I was addicted to the weights and didn't incorporate much cardio. I decided to do more cardio for the next few months and more body weight training to help me achieve my goal by December. Once I have reached that I will go back to my heavy lifting and cardio 3-4 times per week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes so much sense now. I was addicted to the heavy weights as well, especially since i proved to myself that I was stronger than I thought.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on WIOG! We may not always reply but we read every single word you write. If you want to chat one on one asap, email us at kimberly@workitoutgurl.com or amber@workitoutgurl.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...